Bob Wild Lung Transplant Grants
The Bonnell Foundation (BF) understands not all costs are paid for by health insurance companies when a lung transplant and transplant follow-up care are required for those with cystic fibrosis (CF). The Bonnell Foundation wants to help cover those costs to lessen the financial burden that many are faced with when a transplant is needed.
Expenses considered for payment when necessary for care and management of lung transplant include:
- Temporary relocation/housing
- Hotel for spouse of CF patient
- Durable medical equipment (DME)
- Ambulatory services
- Transplant related prescriptions
*The Bonnell Foundation does not reimburse an individual person directly.
***BF May consider payment for bill(s) not listed above after a thorough review by the BF Board.
Expenses NOT considered for payment include (are not limited to):
- Lost wages of parents/family members/transplant applicant, regular mortgage/rent payments, car payments, vehicle maintenance/parts, cell phone payments/plans, utilities, etc.
1) Complete the official online Lung Transplant Grant Application.
2) Provide a letter (on hospital letterhead) from the CF patients social worker/transplant coordinator confirming a CF diagnosis AND that the CF patient is actively listed/preparing for a lung transplant.
3) Provide related bill(s) requesting payment (please note that we need to see the entire bill – so when adding your medical bills please make certain they’re vertical and complete.)
If approved, the Bonnell Foundation will make payments directly to the institution(s) to pay for expenses that are not covered by insurance or any other program. A Lung Transplant Grant is limited to/up to $3000/lifetime maximum. Applicants can apply for grants from the time they are listed until one-year post transplant. Please have all documentation available for the online application. Our goal is to complete the process of Approval or Denial within two weeks, and to pay IF approved, promptly.
The Bonnell Foundation is a nonprofit organization committed to raising funds to help persons with CF. The need is sometimes more than the resources held by the Bonnell Foundation. Unfortunately, we cannot award every recipient’s financial request. All requests are awarded on a case by case basis within the sole discretion of the board of directors. The Bonnell Foundation’s Lung Transplant Grant application process has no exclusions as to race, ethnicity, gender, age, or sexual orientation or financial status.
We hope that we are able to help ease some of the financial burden that you and your loved one’s face.
Lung Transplant Recipients
Bob Wild from Royal Oak, Michigan was a lung transplant recipient for his second transplant. Sadly after four months fighting to live, Bob died from complications of cystic fibrosis. Our lung transplant grants are dedicated to his memory.
Jerome F. from West Virginia was our first lung transplant grant recipient. Thanks to a successful transplant Jerome is living life to the fullest.