Dr. Samya Nasr Fundraiser
Fundraiser to support Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship Training, in honor of Dr. Samya Nasr
The Bonnell Foundation: Living with Cystic Fibrosis is raising money to support the Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship Training Program at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, to honor Dr. Samya Nasr and her many contributions to the CF Community.
Dr. Samya Nasr, Professor of Pediatrics and the Director of the Cystic Fibrosis Clinical Center at the University of Michigan Health, has not only drastically improved the lives of children living with cystic fibrosis here in the United States, she also has a long-standing track record of improving lives across the globe. For example, in her native country of Egypt, doctors weren’t aware of the prevalence of CF in their country until Dr. Nasr brought this disease to light. For years, families had children undiagnosed, with parents losing multiple children and not knowing why. Now, more than a 1,000 patients have been diagnosed, thanks to Dr. Nasr’s persistent efforts.
We need more physicians like Dr. Nasr, but there is a national concern that the pediatric pulmonology workforce will not be sufficient to meet the needs of children with respiratory diseases. This concern is particularly acute in the State of Michigan which has 1.26 board certified pediatric pulmonologists per 100,000 children which is below the national average of 1.5. To meet this demand, the University of Michigan has been developing new and innovative training models with the goals of increasing the number of trainees interested in pediatric pulmonology, improving the quality of clinical training of our trainees, and developing leaders in research to identify cures for pediatric lung diseases.
Resources and support for fellowships are often sporadic, leaving fellows and programs like theirs to rely on uncertain grant funding. Your support will help expand the pool of well-trained pediatric pulmonologists by supporting opportunities that include:
- Research project support for mentored basic science related to the treatment and cure of pediatric lung disease.
- Tuition for Master’s Program in Health and Health Care Research through the Michigan Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI)
- Tuition for Master’s Program in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis through the Michigan School of Public Health
- Research project support for novel approaches to collaborative research including training through the Global Public Health training programs at the Michigan School of Public Health
- Research project and salary support for junior faculty starting a research career
Together, we can help train the next generation of leaders who will follow in Dr. Nasr’s footsteps to advance discovery and improve care for children all over the world.
*This is not a Michigan Medicine hosted event, it is an independent community fundraising event hosted by the Bonnell Foundation with proceeds benefiting Michigan Medicine.*
Your donation will support opportunities for research and education. Enter the amount you wish to donate and click Add to Cart.